Thursday, February 3, 2011

Daily Question,"You accidentally discover an invention that can immediately help millions of people; but only if you act immediately. On the other hand, if you just wait three months, you can secure a patent and get rich. Which do you choose and why?" "

It is the Christian way of life to help others.  Our God given gifts are not only ours to enjoy but to share with others. The gospel of Luke 12:48 states “Yet he who did not know, and who acted in a way that deserves a beating, will be beaten fewer times. So then, of all to whom much has been given, much will be required. And of those to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be asked.”  I truly believe this. Yet, I don’t believe that I have an obligation to share everything that I own or acquire with others. (That’s “wealth redistribution” which I do not support). Having said this, a decision to act immediately would depend on the nature of help it would provide to these millions of people. 

If my invention would simply provide convenience rather than fulfill a critical life or death need, I would definitely wait the three months. This plan of action would to not only secure a patent but also secure my wealth. Before the reader of this blog screams “hypocrite”, let me explain. My new acquired wealth, coupled with my talents, would potentially allow me to help many people who are truly in need. My thought is that my financial help could eventually extend well beyond the millions of people that my invention would have initially helped.

On the other hand, if my invention would save people’s lives immediately then I would ignore the whispers of the greed demon sitting on shoulder and share my invention immediately. I would have to believe that my discovery was no accident but rather information that God has entrusted me with to help His people. Without a doubt I would feel a deep sense of obligation and privilege to help.   

1 comment:

  1. When i did this daily, i said similair things. I would use my invention immediatley and save people rather than make money for myself.

    ReplyDelete